School Games SILVER Mark Award 2018/19.
School has been rewarded for all of the hard work and effort of staff and pupils over the last year. Please see the press release below.
In your locality…
Go Gateshead is a local fitness membership based throughout Gateshead that offers gym membership, fitness classes, swimming, sports and much more. By clicking the below link you can access a list of the leisure centre’s that are part of Go Gateshead as well as all classes, sports and activities available and information on swimming and memberships. There any many membership choices to choose from to suit your fitness needs.
Link for: www.gogateshead.com
Rowlands Gill Primary School are a School Games school and are currently at Bronze status. We will be updating our profile on their website to give you information on what we do within school.
Click the below link and search for Rowlands Gill Primary School.
Link for: www.yourschoolgames.com
Click the below link to see information on ‘Get active to get healthy’ from the Department of Health:
The funding has helped the NHS Change 4 Life Scheme. The Change 4 Life scheme helps you change your daily routines quickly and easily to become a more healthy and active household. It provides fun ideas to help you and your children stay fit and healthy. It includes food facts, smart snack swaps, recipes, activities and information on your child’s weight. The website is filled with great ideas, click the below link for more information:
Link for: www.nhs.uk/Change4life
Rowlands Gill Primary School are also are members of the Gateshead School Sports Partnership and Healthy Schools. This allows our children to be involved in high quality PE school sport both inside and outside of school and ensures within school that we eating healthy options for snacks and at lunchtime!
Link for: https://www.gatesheadssp.org.uk/
What is the Sports Premium?
The Government is providing funding of £150 million per annum for the next 2 academic years to provide new, substantial primary school sport funding. This funding is being jointly provided by the Department for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport and will be going directly to primary school head teachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
The sport funding can only be spend on sport and PE provision in schools.
We have achieved the Silver Award this year due to the hard work of our staff and pupils. Well done! Please see the link below.
Sport Premium Funding 2018-19 – £18,437.00
How do we intend to spend the money?
We have several aims this current academic year:
- To access a variety of sports with good quality equipment.
- To increase the number of children participating in inter school competition across Gateshead.
- To employ specialist sports coaches to deliver high quality sessions and improve staff knowledge and understand.
- To provide professional development in PE and sport.
- To arrange a School Games Week
- To provide fitness opportunities for less active pupils
What difference has Sport Premium made to PE and sport participation and attainment?
- All children will participate in School Sports Competitions and festivals.
- All children will participate in intra school competitions e.g. house matches, competitions in PE lessons and Sports Day.
- After school opportunities for a wider range of sports e.g. multi skills sports, gymnastics and Fit Dance.
- Specialist coaching within PE lessons to develop skills of children and class teachers.
To see examples of the impact our spending has had on children and their engagement in PE and school sport please refer to ‘Rowlands Gill School Impact’ and class photographs.
Are these improvements sustainable?
Our aim is to ensure these improvements are sustained in future years.
- Festivals and tournaments are now timetabled across the year to ensure all children have the opportunity to attend Level 2 competitions.
- Regular ‘intra school competitions’ are organised for KS1 and KS2 pupils and to use teachers’ areas of expertise.
- The daily mile supplements the children’s quality of PE and potentially leads to the children leading a healthy lifestyle,
- Our use of coaches within PE lessons gives the opportunity to upskill class teachers. For example a tennis and basketball coach taught a half term block of lessons in Y3 and 4 and Year 6. The teacher made notes and assisted in lessons and now feels confident in teaching tennis sessions in the future.
- Theme weeks can still be funded to give children a range of experiences in PE eg national Sports Week.